Preparing for long-term senior home care needs involves a wide range of variables. Often, a senior may be completely independent and self-sufficient for many years, and then suddenly experience an illness or injury that leads to the immediate need for assistance in order to stay safe and independent at home. Determining the right option for the care of a senior loved one can be challenging for many families.
As the leaders in home and dementia care in Brentwood and surrounding areas, Stay Home Care understands the confusion that often accompanies planning for home care needs, and we have compiled the following home care checklist to help you make the most informed decision regarding long-term care.
Home Care Checklist
Minor senior home care services may be needed if the older adult:
- Needs some support and reminders with bathing and dressing, using the toilet, grooming, or taking medications
- Could benefit from companionship, socialization, and engagement in activities
More intense care at home may be required for a senior who:
- Would likely need assistance in an emergency
- Falls frequently or requires stand-by assistance for walking or transferring
- Requires reminders and help with bathing and dressing, using the toilet, grooming, taking medications, eating, and/or communicating
- Needs motivation and reminders to engage in activities
- Is disoriented at times, or is impacted by mild cognitive impairment
Full-time senior home care services may be needed if the senior:
- Would need major assistance in an emergency
- Always requires assistance with transfers
- Needs major assistance with bathing and dressing, using the toilet, grooming, taking medications, eating, and/or communicating
- Is only able to participate in social activities with help
- Is challenged by mild confusion, impaired memory, and poor orientation
Skilled nursing care in the home may be necessary if the senior:
- Requires pain management
- Has had a surgical procedure or an injury that necessitates the need for wound management
- Has a feeding tube or catheter
- Needs help with medication administration or injections
This home care checklist was developed by the experienced care team at Stay Home Care. We can evaluate your senior loved one’s unique situation to help determine the right type and level of home care he or she will need. Call us at 615-964-7726 to learn more about our senior care in Brentwood, TN and the nearby communities as well as how we can help your family plan for long-term care needs.