Numerous people in America have found themselves in a role of providing senior care for an older family member, and while serving as a family caregiver is very fulfilling in many ways, the everyday tasks involved with senior care can become tedious for both the caregiver and the senior. Stay Home Care, providers of the compassionate in home care Nashville, TN and surrounding area residents need, wants to assist you in putting the fun back in your loved one’s everyday routine. All it takes is a bit of ingenuity! Try some of these unique activities for seniors to help brighten your loved one’s day and make daily senior care more interesting:
3 Unique Senior Activities
1. Try a New Style
These recommendations can add some style and fun to dressing, tackling laundry, and other chores:
- Ask the senior to assist with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Make the most of this time to talk about your day, a television show you both like to watch, etc.
- Flip through magazines and catalogs and choose fashions you think the other person would look good in.
- Make picking out clothes and accessories to wear every day an enjoyable occasion!
2. Spice Up Meals
Food is a big part of our culture, family history and customs, and is connected with many emotions. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Involving the senior in washing/drying dishes.
- Inviting the older person to assist in fixing a traditional family recipe.
- Enjoying meals outside when weather permits.
3. Try Something New
There is always something new to be learned, and no better time than now to pick up a new hobby or pursue a goal. There are numerous virtual classes available, with some geared particularly to seniors and offering lower (or no-cost) rates. Look for possibilities to learn:
- A new language.
- How to play a musical instrument
- Skills such as sewing, culinary arts, cultivating plants, sculpting – the options are unlimited!
Stay Home Care’s senior care professionals understand that providing care for an elderly loved one can be both gratifying and overwhelming, and we want you to know that you are never alone. As top providers of the trusted in home care Nashville, TN and surrounding area seniors deserve, we offer friendly companionship, personal hygiene services such as showering, dressing, and grooming assistance, and encouragement to participate in a variety of fun, unique activities for seniors.