As Jane Austen once stated, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for individuals with a chronic disease, like multiple sclerosis (MS), comfort is essential, as is remaining safe. If you’re wondering how to help someone with MS, the first step is to seek the assistance of a professional home care company with specific expertise in MS-related difficulties, who can provide an in-home safety assessment and make the appropriate suggestions for alterations to the home so that it is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, rather than a dangerous setting.
MS can cause getting around to be complicated, and daily tasks — including enjoyable activities — can trigger fatigue more rapidly in those with MS. Implementing particular changes to the home environment can help conserve energy and boost independence.
Some examples include:
- Exchange thick carpeting with smooth, non-slip flooring for easier mobility
- Place grab bars in the bathroom
- Move furniture to widen pathways throughout the residence
- Incorporate items in the tub or shower like a handheld shower head, a slip-resistant bathmat, and a tub seat
- Consider a bed rail to assist with changing sleep positions
- Replace knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
Stay Home Care, the leading provider of elder care services in Nashville, TN and surrounding areas, can provide home modification suggestions and assist with scheduling these customizations to ensure your loved one’s residence is a more convenient place for independence. Just a few of the many other ways we can help improve quality of life for those with MS include:
- Planning and preparing wholesome, delicious meals
- Light housecleaning and laundry
- Assistance with personal care needs, such as bathing, dressing, and using the restroom
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments, procedures, and enjoyable outings
- Running errands, such as picking up prescriptions and grocery shopping
- Offering pleasant companionship to engage in exercise programs, conversations, fun activities, and favorite hobbies
- Medication reminders so meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Help with safe ambulation to reduce the risk of falls
- And many others, according to each person’s unique needs
To learn more about our elder care services in Nashville and throughout the nearby areas, contact us at 615-964-7726. Our in-home care from expert caregivers can help multiple sclerosis patients remain in the comfort of home, while enjoying life to the fullest each day.