There’s nothing quite as comforting as home, which is why the overwhelming majority of seniors’ hearts are set on continuing to live at home throughout aging, rather than moving to an assisted living facility or nursing home – as many as 90% of them in fact, according to AARP. Feeling at ease in familiar surroundings, having the freedom to come and go as you please, to decide what foods you prefer to eat, and to enjoy them whenever and wherever you want – choices such as these are priceless.
But while it seems like the ideal plan for aging, there are some real questions to answer first:
- Will the older adult be safe?
- How will he/she get around if driving, or even walking, becomes challenging?
- What will happen if the senior becomes sick or hurt and no one’s nearby to help?
Thankfully, it’s easier now than ever before for the elderly to stay safe and well at home. The tips below can be of help in taking the steps necessary to make sure your loved one is prepared for these and other needs, now and in the future:
- Evaluate the home, inside and out, from the perspective of the older person’s safety. Check to ensure that:
- Grab bars are secured near the bathtub and toilet.
- Throw rugs and any other tripping hazards are removed.
- There is sufficient lighting, including in hallways and stairways.
- Often-used items are within easy reach.
- Emergency phone numbers are displayed in a prominent location.
- Devise a transportation plan, so it will be ready to implement if driving is no longer an option:
- Research public transportation options that are available and easy to access.
- Create a volunteer tree of trusted people the older person can call for transportation when needed: friends, family, neighbors, religious organizations, local senior centers, and Stay Home Care.
- Provide your loved one with technology to use in an emergency to call for help when he or she is alone, such as a PERS (personal emergency response system).
Bear in mind, however, that the best way to keep older adults safe and well cared for at home is by partnering with a professional home care agency, such as Stay Home Care. Our caregivers receive in-depth training and are experienced in providing personal care services, transportation, meal preparation, companionship, and more, for as much or as little care as needed.
We begin with the development of a personalized plan of care to meet the older person’s unique needs and desires, and then update that plan ongoing as those needs change – making sure that the senior is always safe and able to live life to the fullest, where it’s most comfortable: right at home. Contact us at 615-964-7726 to learn more about our home care solutions in Nashville, TN and the surrounding area, and to request a free in-home consultation.