Home is where we’re most comfortable, and for that reason so many older adults make the choice to continue to live at home through their golden years. In many cases wheelchairs will become a part of life when some individuals, including those with disabilities, lose some degree of mobility. Experiencing a decrease in mobility can be particularly challenging when it comes to ensuring that the home is safe. Thankfully, a few home adjustments can adapt a home for a wheelchair for elderly and disabled individuals with home care equipment to substantially improve safety.
The following are some home modifications that are recommended to adapt a home for a wheelchair:
- Ensure walkways and driveways are smooth, but not slick.
- Install a ramp leading to the front door with landings at the top and bottom.
- Doorways should be 32-36 inches wide, with enough floor space near the doors to accommodate the movement of a wheelchair.
- Thresholds on doors should not be greater than ¼ inch.
- Cabinet shelves should be a maximum of 10 inches deep.
- Oven controls should be positioned at the front.
- Ensure that there is knee space beneath all sinks.
- Oven doors should be able to swing open to the side.
- For deeper shelves, install a Lazy Susan to ensure all items are within reach.
- Bathrooms should have either a wheelchair maneuverable bathtub with a 60-inch turning radius or T-turn space, or a stand-up shower without a curb and be at least 36 inches wide.
- There should be sufficient room to transfer from wheelchair to toilet.
- Walk-in closets are ideal for wheelchair-bound individuals, but a closet organizer that offers the person the ability to reach all items is a good option for smaller closets.
- Floors should be free of clutter and furniture should be arranged for maximum maneuverability.
Stay Home Care, providing home care services in Nashville and surrounding areas, can assist with home modification recommendations and coordination. Our customized care begins with a complimentary in-home consultation, during which we create a personalized plan of care to address the individual’s unique care needs and wishes, and continue to monitor the plan on an ongoing basis and modify as needs change.
Our senior home care in Nashville, TN can accommodate a variety of scheduling needs, including just a few hours each week, full-time, or around-the-clock care. Contact us at 615-964-7726 to learn more about options for senior care and see our full service area.