A mom’s love for her children knows no age limits. And parents of all ages want more than anything to protect their children from concerns, which in some cases may mean masking their own concerns. Moreover, when their loved ones live at a distance, it can be challenging to really know for certain just how healthy aging parents are.
One of the leading challenges of aging is the decline in meeting senior nutrition requirements. If you suspect your aging loved ones might not be getting the nutrients they need to stay healthy and well, the following short assessment from Stay Home Care can help detect possible red flags:
- Has the senior mentioned a loss of appetite, concerns with digestion, or chewing or swallowing struggles? Has there been a reduction in food consumption over the past few months due to this?
- Has the older adult experienced any weight loss over the past couple of months? Losing weight, especially for seniors with a more inactive lifestyle, can indicate that the person is not eating properly.
- Does the individual have a problem with mobility? Being restricted to the home can create dietary problems, as it’s more challenging to get groceries or fix meals.
- Has the older person been under emotional stress or been inflicted by an acute disease in the past several months?
- What is the senior’s body mass index (BMI)? A BMI of 18.5 or lower might suggest that the person is not eating enough, while a BMI of 30 or higher can suggest obesity.
If you determine through answering these questions that a senior loved one may be having problems with nutrition, it’s a good idea to check in with his or her doctor. Stay Home Care can also help enhance health and wellbeing for older individuals through services like:
- Food preparation
- Transportation to medical appointments
- Light housework
- Medication reminders
- And others
Our skilled and highly trained caregivers are compassionate, background screened and available for as much or as little care as required, and will help ensure senior nutrition needs are fully met. Contact our team of experts any time at 615-964-7726 to learn more about our trusted Franklin home care. View our full service area here.